When it comes to the romance-drama genre, Rachel McAdams has had her fair share of tear-jerking moments opposite some of the most gorgeous leading men in the business. She’s had her heart broken and has broken hearts in return. On her birthday, we’re looking back at some of the times she definitely broke us.
5. “You’re in love with a fantasy.” – Inez, Midnight in Paris
Photo from Me.me
You’ll hear this line within the first five minutes of the film and Rachel’s character, Inez, says it as casually as can be. There’s nothing particularly remarkable about her delivery—no big build up, no dramatic score—but by the end of the film, the gravity of this statement will hit you so hard, you’ll feel like you’ve been run over by a bus.
4. “I’m not trying to hurt you. I’m just so tired of disappointing you. I’m so sorry… I hope one day, I can love the way that you love me.” – Paige, The Vow
After Paige loses a big chunk of her memories in a car accident, her husband Leo patiently tries to help her remember who she is and why they’re meant to be together. While we’re hurting for Leo throughout the film, we can only imagine how difficult, confusing, and emotionally draining this is for Paige. This moment was bound to happen, but it doesn’t make it any less heartbreaking.
3. “This is just a fight we’re having. And then tomorrow, it’ll be like it never happened, right?” – Allie, The Notebook
Allie and Noah’s was one whirlwind of a teenage romance and this scene showed just how young, immature, yet incredibly deep their love for each other was.
2. “What, you think that I wanted this life… this husband that disappears without any kind of warning? Do you think anyone would want that? Who would want that?” – Clare, The Time Traveler’s Wife
Coming from a place of hurt and frustration, this is one of those times she went for the jugular to get her feelings across to her leading man. And at the back of our minds, we can’t really blame her, can we?
1. “Why didn’t you write me? Why? It wasn’t over for me, I waited for you for seven years, and now it’s too late.” – Allie, The Notebook
We can almost taste the resentment in Allie’s voice, but it was immediately followed by one of the most iconic make-up and make-out scenes ever. It made every girl swoon and really set the bar high when it comes to romantic confessions under the pouring rain.
Featured photo from Hello Magazine.